An elderly resident died after fire engulfed part of a 12-floored building in Vile Parle, Mumbai`s civic body Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation’s Mumbai Fire Brigade reported.

The resident, identified as Harshada Janardan Pathak, aged 95, was declared brought dead by the attending Medical Officer (AMO) from Cooper Hospital.

The fire incident was reported at 19:27 hours in Vile Grand Residency Building, Poonam Baug, Nariman Road, Vileparle (East). The Mumbai Fire Brigade (MFB) reported the incident.

The fire was confined to flat No. 201 on the second floor of the 12-floored building. The blaze affected electric wiring, electric installations, TV, refrigerator, wooden furniture, wooden doors, false ceiling, household articles, and food items.

Also read: Diwali 2023: BMC chief urges Mumbaikars to follow HC directive on firecrackers

BMC`s Mumbai Fire Brigade (MFB) responded promptly, and the fire was successfully extinguished at 20:03 hours by firemen using one small hose line and three motor pumps. The electric supply was cut off to contain the fire.

Senior official of pharma firm booked for culpable homicide for fire that killed 11 at Raigad factory

Meanwhile, a senior official of pharmaceutical firm Blue Jet Healthcare has been booked for alleged culpable homicide following the death of 11 persons in a fire at its factory in Maharashtra`s Raigad district, police said on Friday.

While the senior official who was responsible for the plant`s maintenance was arrested three days ago, two others have also been named in the case, an official said

A blaze broke out at the company`s plant at Mahad Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation, 170 km from here in Mumbai, on November 3. Eleven persons were killed and seven were injured in the incident, PTI reported.

Based on a complaint lodged by one of the injured labourers, a first information report was registered under sections 304 (culpable homicide but not amounting to murder), 308 (attempt to commit culpable homicide) and other relevant provisions of the Indian Penal Code, the official said.

The preliminary probe has suggested that the fire was the result of an electric short circuit, he added. (With additional reporting by PTI)

Source link